Postpartum Stories | Mama H




Mama H + R
Labor Hours: 11 hours 


"On December 13th at 4 am, I rolled over, smiled at my husband and told him, “today’s the day”. I was overjoyed knowing my little boy was going to be making his grand entrance today, but like every 9 month pregnant woman I needed food. I knew once I got to the hospital they wouldn’t let me eat. So we went to Hardee's - I had two sausage gravy biscuits, two cinnamon raisin biscuits, and a large coke. My husbands eyes wide in disbelief as I ate and ate and ate. I wasn’t concerned with the labor pains, but hunger pains were my main concern. 
(I’m a first time mom, boy was I in for a surprise).
We arrived at the hospital, signed tons of papers, and took a last belly shot before I hopped into the bed. The nurse came in and began the pitocin around 7 am. I had my very carefully selected playlist on repeat, my essential oils ready, and my snack selection set up for post baby (again food is a love of mine). My husband was by my side and my mama was on her way. All was right with the world. The doctor came in and decided it was time to break my water. I hesitantly agreed, then there was “pressure” more, “pressure” and boom that was done. "See, not too bad," I told myself. Doctor P. told me this will help the baby come along. About two hours in I decide I should get the epidural before the labor pains become worse than hunger pains. 

Here we go. 
Knees bent. 
Back arched. 
Husband holding my hands. 
Big stick. 
Burning. 

More of that so called, “pressure” and tons of squeezing my husbands hand. “Do you have scoliosis? I didn’t get it. Let’s try again.” The anesthesiologist said. 

Here we go. 
Knees bent. 
Back arched. 
Pressure. 
Heavy breathing. 
Serious hand squeezing. 
Sweating. 
Big stick and burning. 
My Husbands caramel face turned white. 
Still nothing. My contractions got worse. I was NOT numb and my body was not progressing. The pitocin was up as high as they could get it and I realized hunger pain have NOTHING on labor pains. The anesthesiologist turned up the meds and gave me a button to push to release the medicine. They decided to give my body a break and start over again. Around 2 pm they started the pitocin again. Many more tears, hand squeezes, button pushes, and heavy breathing sessions and I continued to tell my family that this epidural did nothing. I could even lift my feet. Doctor P. came into the room and said we would have to resort to a C- Section. “Let’s go. Turn off the pitocin, " I said. Our family circled around to pray and I’m off. My sweet husband and mama walked behind me. I’m scared, excited, nervous and everything in between - but the fact that my two favorite people would be there the whole way, helped keep me calm. I was on the table with the curtain in front of my face and I have never been given so much medicine. I STILL WAS NOT NUMB. I felt a shot in my stomach and I screamed. They then decided I would be put to sleep. My mama and husband were not allowed to come back and the anxiety really set in, but I wanted my baby soon. They were trying to put me to sleep and it just wasn’t working at first, but eventually I was out.
Raiden Ryan Williams was born 6:23 pm, 7 lbs 6 oz, and 19 inches long. I woke up to a sore throat (I tried to pull out my intubation). 
My first question with my scratchy voice was, “is he healthy?” 
The nurse: "Yes, he is" 
Me: “Where is he now” 
The nurse: “With his daddy.” 
Me: “Is he beautiful?” 
The nurse: "Yes, with a head full of hair." 

(little did I know he would be known as the little boy with all the hair)
I’m was trying to sober up and I thanked the nurse profusely for taking such good care of my baby. I just wanted to meet himI could not stop crying and asking to see him. ( my worst fear through pregnancy was that he would be born unhealthily and need medical attention). I was trying to convince the nurses I was ready and then they eventually let me go. I was being rolled into the room when I heard his cry for the very fist time. In that moment I fell in love. I had not seen him, but he was already my world.
I saw him in his daddy’s arms doing skin to skin and I cried. I told everyone how proud I was and cried some more. This little boy who looked just like his father was on my chest and I never wanted him to leave. 

______
Seven weeks later. He still looks like his daddy, he’s still my world, and he is on my chest as I’m writing this and I still never want him to leave. Oh and he’s still the “baby with all that hair”. He is So. Worth. It. All.
















Comments

Popular Posts