Postpartum Story | Mama G





Mama G + D




"As I sat in the waiting room, I started to hurt under my ribcage and feel like I could not breathe. My pregnancy had been complicated. I already had two procedures under spinal anesthesia under my belt thus far. Now, I had been swelling. So much so that I could only wear bedroom slippers and had been put on modified bedrest two days prior. I was there in the office to turn in a 24-hour urine and get my blood pressure checked. It had been normal so far. "Mrs. Justice" I hear. I got up and walked back. The nurse, Kayla, checked my blood pressure. Once... I could feel my pulse bounding. Twice.. I thought to myself , "This is really happening." She checked it for a third time. I looked up. "It is high now, isn't it?" "Yes," she replied with a calm voice, but frantic eyes, "Let me go get Dr. Patel."
In a daze, I make my it over to the Family Birthing Center calling my husband on the way to come up there "just in case." He arrives just as I had made it to my room. I explain to him that my blood pressure was starting to get high, and I was being admitted to monitor it. Soon after, the nurse arrives. She begins to start on my admission. My blood pressure is checked again. It is in the 180s. "Let me get some help," She says, "We're going to have to start you on a Mag drip and some labetalol." Her demeanor is calm, but as a nurse myself, I could sense the facade she was hiding behind. She arrives back with another nurse. IV and catheter are started. My world is a blur. The cuff on my arm inflates again. My blood pressure is now 210/108. I look again to make sure I'm seeing it correctly. I think, "That is not good at all, but try to stay calm. Don't let your fears work against you." Bzzz, bzzz. My phone vibrates. My co-worker from surgery is asking if I am ok and if I am having a C-section today. I go to reply, but the one nurse gently takes my phone and hands it to my husband. He is sitting anxiously in the corner of the room. "She does not need the stimulation," she explains as she closes the blinds and flips off the lights. "She is at high risk for seizure and stroke right now." The next thing I am aware of is Dr. Patel stepping into my room. "Georgia, as I'm sure you are aware, you have developed acute onset severe Pre-ecclampsia. I am so sorry. Due to the risks. We are going to get you back to the C-section room as soon as possible. I have already let them know in surgery. I know its early and unexpected, but Delta should be able to stay here in our NICU." At 2:21 p.m. on January 11, 2018, in the presence of her daddy and with the loving help of her mother's co-workers, Delta Jane made her entrance into this world via emergent cesarean section. She was 32 weeks 6 days gestation. She spent 26 agonizingly long days in the NICU. If God's plan had been the same as my plan, today would signify the start of baby week. I would still be pregnant at 39 weeks anticipating the arrival of my first child. However, His perfect plan has allowed me hold my baby in my arms every day for the last six weeks. When I look at my postpartum body, I am reminded that if the events of that day had been altered even slighlty, it is very likely that she, myself, or both of us would not be here today. I cherish the earlier than planned start to Motherhood. I am so gratetful for what God allowed my body to do gloriously, yet rebelliously, and His plan allowed us to be here for me to tell this story."







Comments

Popular Posts